15 April 2015
Dear Friends and subscribers
We seem to have got off to a slow start this year. What with the Auckland Festival taking all your time and then the three long weekends of glorious weather and to top it off the ODI – International Cricket final where we were clever enough to be a finalist – the weekends just got away with us!
However, within the Studio walls the teaching and learning has been going on apace with energy and enthusiasm and much progress.
The first of our Soirees (10th May at 5 for 5.30) – comprises most of the prize winner of both Summer Opera Schools – The New Zealand Opera School at Wanganui and the N.Z. Singing School at Hastings.
- Anna Mahen NZSS winner of the AOS prize
- Madison Nanoi – overall top female
- Filipe Manu – NZOS – top singer
- Kalauni Pouvalu – Wanganui top singer NZOS
- Jonathon Clyres – Baritone Price Winner NZSS
- Joel Amosa – Hasting and who also had a great success in singing the Dulcamara role in Festival Opera’s production of L’Elisir d’amore by Donizetti. He also won the big prize to travel to Australia for a month long study period at Opera Australia and
- Milla Dickens who sang a very grateful and elegant Gianetta in the same opera and was very highly praised
So we are very proud to invite you to this concert or inspiring and successful students.
On May 24th at 5 for 5.30 we present – Boy’s Night Out
- James Ioelu, Benson Wilson and Stephen Diaz
You will be thrilled to know that James has won one of the highly coveted places in San Francisco Opera’s famous Merola Programme. Past recipients being Simon O’Neill and Pene Pati.
Incidentally one of the other place getters in this programme is Pene’s extraordinarily talented fiancée Amina Edris.
The, three days after this 3 month Programme finishes, James flies to London to begin a yearlong Young Artist place in the most prestigious programme – in England the Nation Opera Studio. We are so proud of James!
Benson Wilson was 2nd place getter in last year’s Lexus Competition and Stephen Diaz the 2nd place getter in the previous Lexus Competition.
Lastly, on the 14th June at 6 p.m. we present a tiny chamber Opera L’Italiana in Londra by Cimarosa.
This will be performed at Highwic House and is an hour long comedy – presenting
- Madison Nanoa
- Milla Dickens
- Joel Amosa
- Filipe Manu
- Directed by Raymond Hawthorne
All these events will be preceded by the usual drinks and refreshments. $65 per person.
The first two take place at AOS premises at 24 St Benedicts St. The last one at Highwic House, 40 Gillies Avenue, Newmarket, Auckland 1023.